Queer Ecology - The Connection to Communities

When I think about queer movements, ignoring the ecology aspect for a moment, then I stumble across projects to reconnect to nature quite a few times (in the relatively short recent history).

I’m thinking especially about the movements that went “back to the land”: I’m not a historian (so don’t quote me on this), but I think the original “Back to the Land” movement emerged during the 1920s - and was a fringe movement (with no sexual orientation attached). It was however popularised in the late 1960s and early 70s as a counter-culture movement related to the hippie movement.

In the late 1970s, there was a queer movement (at the time I think largely gay men) that advocated gathering in nature: The radical faeries. This was quite different from the more permanent settlements that formed the “Back to the Land” movement. Radical Faeries Sanctuaries are for short stays and few live there permanently.

Of course, I’m not even touching on other co-habitation projects like the relatively small number of queer intentional communities, and queer-friendly Ecovillages. Although with the latter, afaik there aren’t any queer-centred/lead villages (or are there??).

What I’m fascinated by is how the two factors ecology and community play together, and I wonder what queer aspects there are. Maybe you have some thoughts about the three (Community, nature/ecology and queer-lives). Let’s share them…

What do you think about living in community? Have you made experiences of living in communities? In an urban setting? In a rural setting?

I just wanted to share that my experience has only been to live in queer communities in the city in a collective such as a gay housing co-op April Housing in London during the 1980s. Most people living in the Co-op were vegetarian or vegan none of us could afford housing in London even then. The housing Co-op accessed poor quality housing from the local authority and gave it to us as a Collective to manage. So I lived on a council estate in Hackney with two other gay men, there were women only houses and flats too. I was aware of all the alternative organic food shops in London but that was all in terms of nature/ecology. I became aware of the radical faeries when I visited San Francisco in possibly
around 2003. It seemed to be like a secret club that invited you in so I didn’t get to explore or find out more about it then. Now there seems to be some writing about them available on the Internet but again it’s a Labour of love to find it.

1 Like

I think community is a big part of sustainable living. We can’t connect to the earth and nature on the one side, and ignore other humans. Our disconnection in these times, to other human, to nature and to our consumption is at the heart of the problem. When you connect more, you connect everywhere.

So I think being in community (more in the sense of the question today) is important, and creating community. Because only then will we see our impact on others.

Dear friends,

I have a string longing for community since I was young as I could not find myself in the usual urban straight setting. I was lucky to find Tamera, a community in Portugal, in a very dark moment in my life. I was re energized and inspired and started my own community in La Paz, Bolivia. It was not easy but it became a reality. Unfortunately, it was only here that I could realize that I wanted to live my gay love more freely, but by then my community was mainly composed of straight couples. All beautiful and lovely people but who did not share my needs, my passions, my language. So I left my community. Now I am in the path of following my dream of creating a queer community in Bolivia but based on the principle of harmony with nature, each other and oneself. It is not easy, but I did find interesting experiences including The Quinta Project. I hope I can find more connections through this forum. Hugs!

1 Like

Hi @Gadir! OT … but I quickly wanted to say hi and welcome! And of course, I would love to hear more about your project! How about you share more information in our (new and not so much as yet used) forum for user projects. I would love to find out more!

hugs
Steph

Thank you Stephan! Is this ´forum for user projects´ different than this one?